In 2020, SumUp was facing a huge challenge:
 How do we keep growing by acquiring users that generate more revenue and align with our new brand guidelines?
I was part of this whole ambitious process to change drastically our way of acquiring.
To comply with my non-disclosure agreement, I have omitted and obfuscated confidential information in this case study. All information in this case study is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of SumUp.
The challenge
Bring more upmarket users through our acquisition funnel
The solution
User research, agencies and lots and lots of testing
My role
Prepare a full funnel acquisition strategy that works coherently with the sales team to be fast, cost efficient and brings qualified leads.
Tasks to be done
Website redesign, static and motion marketing assets for Meta and GA, automate data input from leads to w
First steps
Move fast and fail cheap

Our High level goals were to test if our new way of acquiring new users made sense through online channels, and check if users were interested in buying our products based on a form instead of a purely self service funnel.

So, we did exactly this. With the team we built a functional MVP to test our high level goals and leading indicators to move forward.

KV for the campaign

Convertflow form for lead gen

First results
Since we talked about the project on Monday, and launched the whole funnel on Thursday, data from the different platforms was quick and easy to gather, giving us promising results on our leading indicators, but no so much in our lagging indicators.

We managed to keep our costs down, and hit various KPI's bullseye, but we needed to keep iterating so our efforts responded to a long term solutions, instead of a short term win with no clear outcome in the near future.
Prospects needs change quickly
Even though we managed to clear our gap between self service strategies and being a interconnected team with our sales executives, we noticed that our prospect needs were not simple and easy to fix, instead they where vague, really complex and very diverse.

With the help of some interviews conducted by me and the insights that sales executives gathered, we managed to create a opportunity strategy map, and weigh in each and every feedback received, analyzed the risk-reward ratio and decided to move forward with a second version of the MVP more connected with our customer needs
Next steps
A whole new way of acquiring mixing self service with lead generation
We decided that focusing on bringing only people with a higher revenue was a mistake, and a loss in our mission as a company. We decided to launch a second iteration that helped our customers attend themselves if they where a small business, but give the offer to negotiate with a salesman if our One Size Fits All solution didn't align with the needs of their business.

Using tools like optimizely and spliting traffic through A/B tests in Meta and GA, we started tracking what customers were really interested in a custom offer but minding that prequalifying them was key for our sales team to be more efficient.
The outcome
Since 2022 we've been constantly iterating on how to bring customers via digital channels that demonstrate a big improvement in our upmarket strategy.
The first steps of the project and the avid documentation and data bases that we founded where key to make data-based decisions to open new roles, create new teams, and shift our focus to become the first POS solutions for every upcoming business.
Now a days we've collected more than 100k+ prospects through our lead gen campaigns with costs that makes this effort worth it and scalable.
Our Value proposition and Selling proposition have shifted because of Qualitative and Quantitative data that we have collected though our tests and interviews.
Upmarket share increased by 50%
Costs went down 80%
Qualified Sales ex. sales went up by 23%
Self service funnel CVR increased by 30%

Back to Top